Monday, May 3, 2010

The wonderful bed adventures...

A couple posts ago, I mentioned that Connor was trying to crawl out of his bed, so we changed it into a toddler bed, so that he wouldn't fall out of his crib. Well, that didn't go over very nicely. It was great when I put him to bed. He cried for a few moments, and then fell asleep. But an hour after he went to bed, I hear a loud THUMP and him screaming. I run into his room, and he's on the floor, at the foot of the bed. I pick him up, and there's blood all over his mouth. His upper lip was bleeding. I just had Aaron quickly set up the pack n play, and rocked him back to sleep, and put him into that. Of course he was up every hour that night, because those things aren't comfy at all.

I wasn't sure what to do the next night... didn't want him falling out again... so he went into the pack n play again.

Then my husband (and his sister, through a text to me) had the great idea of putting the mattress on the floor. I had a twin mattress, so I used that instead of the crib mattress, figuring it'd give him more room. I also went and got a bed rail, figuring in the long run, I'd be using it for many years to come.

The first night didn't go very well. He cried for a few minutes, and fell asleep. But then he woke up 2-3 times, and got out of bed and walked to the door screaming for me. Both times I went in and put him back to bed, and sat at the bedside til he fell back asleep.

Then the next time, it was even worse. He did really great and went to bed with about 30 seconds of crying at 7pm, and then slept til midnight... but then REFUSED to stay in bed and screamed when I'd leave. I went back in forth for 2 hours, trying to get him back into bed and stay asleep. Finally I was so exhausted, I just brought him to bed with me. I know, SOOO not what I should have done. But I was tired, and I couldn't do it anymore. (and since Aaron can't pick Connor up because of his surgery... I am the one who deals with night duty right now... and it's EXHAUSTING)

Then came last night. I nursed him (yes, I still nurse him at nap time and bed time) and laid him down while he was still awake. It was later than normal (9:30pm) because we were at my parents that evening. But he didn't do more than a wimper and fell asleep. He slept til 5am!!!!! I couldn't believe it when I heard him whining for me... I was shocked at the time! So I went in there and he was still sleepy, so I laid him back down and stayed there for a moment, and he fell back asleep. I left, and he woke back up at 8:30am. Such a great night!! I would prefer him sleeping through the night, but I could TOTALLY deal with that every day, if I couldn't get the whole night!

So we're hoping tonight goes well. Today at nap time... I told Aaron to give it a try. He's gone from 2 naps to 1, so he's usually exhausted by 12:00-12:30 and falls asleep while I nurse him. But today, I wanted to see how he'd do with Aaron. Aaron read him a couple of books, and then walked him over to his bed and told him it was time to go to sleep. He left and Connor cried maybe 5 minutes. He DID NOT get out of bed though! And then he fell asleep :) I laugh at how he always sleeps though. This was from today's nap...
(I guess parallel pillow sleeping is the new way to sleep) :)
Then tonight, we had all the nightly routine (bath, jammies, brush teeth, prayer, nursing him) and I put him to bed. He cried not even 10 seconds. It was more of an "I'm just letting you know that I'm not happy about this, but I'm too tired to cry more than this" and then fell asleep :)
Here's hoping for a good night tonight!

No comments: