Saturday, December 25, 2010

Christmas in the ER

We had a wonderful Christmas day. Lots of yummy food, perfect gifts, and spending time with family! I wish it would have ended perfectly... but instead, we spent the evening in the ER!


We found out a little after Connor's 1st birthday (almost a year ago) that he was allergic to peanuts. We've been so good about keeping them away from him... until tonight. I ALWAYS check something before I give it to him. And if I didn't make it, I ask the person who did make it what's in it. It's been a constant struggle, but we've done it. Well, I was tired tonight, and I wasn't really thinking. We were playing games with the family, and Connor kept asking for some candy. He'd had a lot already, and I didn't want to give him anything. But then I saw a plate of goodies that my parents neighbor had brought over, and there was an oatmeal cookie. So I let him have one last sweet for the night.


Turns out there was peanut butter in them... which I didn't realize for quite a while. Honestly, when the reaction starting happening, I was thinking it had to be something else, because I knew he hadn't had any peanuts. At first I thought maybe something had just got into his eye, because he was rubbing them because he was really tired... then started crying while saying "my eye... my eye!" I gave him some Benadryl just in case, and we left to go home. He screamed the whole ride home and once we got home he just wouldn't calm down. He screamed for about 30 minutes as I was rocking him in his dark room. I said a prayer with him, that we would know what was wrong and how to fix it, and that everything would be ok. Then I went out into the living room with him, and he was swollen with welts all over his face. So I called my mom (like always) and she said to go to ER. Then my sister who was next to my mom suddenly said "what about that cookie?!" and it was then that we realized that it had peanut it it. Bethany took a bite and confirmed that there was peanut butter in them.


So we took a ride to the ER (luckily it's only about 5 minutes away) and even though there were TONS of people in the waiting room, we were seen right away (yay!) :) We were in and out in about 1.5 hours. Connor got some more Benadryl (I was told the wrong dosage previously, and hadn't given him enough) and a steroid (not sure which one)... and luckily the swelling went down. It was itching him so bad... I felt horrible, because I couldn't do anything to help him :(


Here are some pictures about an hour after the Benadryl...

one of his legs...

the other leg...

bad picture, but if you can sorta see... his eyes were VERY swollen...

poor little tummy, it was so swollen it got all wrinkly...

luckily Connor had wonderful nurses and a doctor that made this trip not as bad as it could have been. The nurse even gave him that wooden train/truck on the right :)


Luckily he's doing better. We're home and he's in bed. We have to give him Benadryl until the welts/swelling goes away and Prednisolne for a few days.


And now we're going to be even more careful about watching what he eats!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

He won't be able to fly Southwest Airlines anytime soon, or until the allergy clears up. Everyone around him would be munching peanuts, enough to set off a reaction. Maybe they have allergy shots that later in life he could have to mitigate against the severe allergy.

Get well, little guy!

*Lauren* said...

This is how Bradlie looked the first few times she encountered her milk allergy. Those who are allergic to milk protein react similar to those with a peanut allergy. Keep him away from it at all costs!!! If you don't it'll be ridiculous how sensitive he'll become. We have to carry an epipen AND those who have milk, cheese etc cannot touch her or touch her toys or the same surface she does or her body freaks out. Good luck! Check all labels! If you don't know...do not let him have it.

*Lauren* said...

P.S airlines do not give peanuts out anymore for allergy reasons. They'd have lawsuits :) No worries!