Thursday, November 11, 2010

Poor little Connor :(

Connor's had a bad diaper rash for the past 4-5 days. It just seemed like it was getting worse and worse. Then yesterday, he started to get blisters, more welts, and red spots all over his diaper covered areas. His urine also smelled REALLY really bad, it burned my nose. We're leaving for a 4 day trip to Arizona tomorrow, and I didn't want it to get worse while we were gone, so I decided to take him to Urgent Care this morning.

He was such a good boy at the doctors. He just sat next to me and Aaron in the waiting room the whole time (almost an hour... until the doctor decided to show up). Then he let the nurse take his temperature and stats without a fuss. When she went to weigh him and check his height, he even took her hand and walked with her (that's not normal for him). He was fine with her checking his height (2 ft. 10 in.) but not so okay with weight (29 lbs.). He's got this MAJOR fear of heights/uneven surfaces and he just kept saying "whoa! whoa! whoa!" when we put him onto the scale, and grabbed onto me.

When the doctor came in to look at him, she checked out the rash ("wow that's bad"...really?! I didn't know... lol). Then she was kind of talking to herself and said something like "well... we can't check for infection with a urine sample... because obviously he's not going to pee into a cup..." and I said "well, he might." I think that shocked her a bit, since he's not even 2... but he's usually pretty good about going in the potty at home, so I thought at least we could give it a try. Well, he sat on the potty, and right away said "I want Dada" and refused to pee. Of course I wouldn't give up and let him play in the sink water a little bit, and tried again. Nothing... just "I want Dada"... so then I said "you can have Daddy if you pee" .... he peed :) (smart little stinker!)

Turns out he has a urinary tract infection... poor little guy. I've had those before (many time) and they are no fun!!! So now he's on an antibiotic as well as a diaper cream and powder to help the rash. My only worry was that the last time I had a UTI (last month), they put me on bactrim, which is when I had the VERY bad allergic reaction (that the doctor told me wasn't a reaction)... and my mom, aunt, grandpa and a few others on that side all are allergic to it too. But I figured I'd just keep watch on him and if he seems off, or anything seems wrong, I'd take him back right away and get another medicine. But so far, so good :) He loves his medicine... grape flavor :) He asks for more when I give it to him, lol.

He seemed a tad bit fussier than normal, but he's still his happy little self. My sister watched him today for me so I can get some stuff done in preperation for our trip, and she said he was "an absolute angel!"

WHAT?! he's never an angel for me!!!

No comments: