Saturday, October 2, 2010

Our new addition

I got a call from my brother about a week ago. He'd gone to PetSmart with his wife, and together they found an adorable puppy that was there trying to be adopted out. They fell in love with her right away, and even though they already have 2 dogs at home, decided to adopt her. They bring her home and called the home owners (they rent from my SIL's aunt) to double check that it's ok they have another dog (like I said, they already have 2) and she says absolutely not, and that they have to get rid of her. So, back to the call... he asked me if we would be willing to take her. Aaron and I have been thinking about getting a dog for quite some time (so it wasn't one of those quick decision moments) and so I said yes, as long as Connor was ok with her. Connor either loves or hates a dog... and he picks and chooses which ones. He will see some dogs and be perfectly fine with, and see others and scream and cry (and it doesn't matter the size.... he's hated tiny ones and loved big ones, and vice versa). So I told my brother that I'd come over with Connor and see how he was with her, and it was basically Connor's final decision.


So Connor and I drove over there (Aaron was at work, but I called him... already knowing his answer would be yes... he's the main one who has been wanting a pet) and when we walked into the house, the dog came up to us, Connor smiled, petted her and said "nice" (that came from us with my parents dogs, trying to get him to be gentle and nice) and trying to lay his head down on her to give her hugs.


So... we have a dog :) There's been some trials this first week, for a few reasons...

1. She got sick - she started throwing up, had horrible diarrhea & was VERY lethargic. We thought she might have parvo, but we were lucky, and she pulled through :)

2. She's not potty trained - we don't have a fenced in back yard, and we don't have a door that goes to the back yard... so potty training is tough. Especially when I have Connor here by myself, and I'm trying to hold him while having her on a leash... but we're working on it :)

3. Connor and her act like brother and sister - Connor thinks that it's funny to throw things at her. He's not trying to be mean or malicious... but when she runs or dodges the object, he starts laughing hysterically. He just thinks that they're playing together. But the dog doesn't like this (of course not, who would?!) and starts barking at him, and a couple of times she's nipped at him. So I have to constantly be watching the two of them and I'm always breaking up fights!


But... despite those things, we love our little girl. Oh, and her name is Dakota (Connor calls her Doe-da)






Connor thinks he's a puppy too...

No comments: