Thursday, January 23, 2014

Labor, delivery & his first few hours!

On Saturday January 11th, I was scheduled for an induction with Baby #2. I wasn't planning on being induced this time around, but I was 3 days overdue and in a ton of pain. It was so bad that I was pretty much in bed all day, unable to take care of Connor. I couldn't even walk to the bathroom without being in tears or falling to the ground :( This pregnancy has been a VERY difficult one, to say the least. I threw up all 9 months (even the morning I had him) too!

Anyways... I was told to call the hospital an hour before my appointment (6am) to make sure they had room. I called and with my luck, they were soo busy and couldn't fit me. They said that they'd call when they had room (and it might be that day, but it might be the next day, or later in the week). So there I sat at my mom's house, waiting to figure out what would happen.

Around 9am I had a VERY heavy contraction. I hadn't even had contractions like that with Connor, so at first, I didn't know what it was. I was freaking out, thinking I was having some weird problem going on! Then around 12:00pm I had another one. Then again at about 1:15pm. But nothing was consistent. I looked up online what bad contractions felt like, to see if it was described as what I was feeling. They were CRAZY painful! What everyone described is exactly what I was feeling.

At 2:20pm I started having them every 3-5 minutes. Then at 3:30pm they were every 1-2 minutes and they were lasting 30 to 90 seconds. I decided then that I better go to the hospital. I was VERY nervous about going to the hospital though. I had already been 2 times before when I was having smaller contractions and as SOON as I got to the hospital and hooked up to a monitor, they stopped. I was embarrassed and not wanting to be sent home once again, so I prayed the whole way to the hospital that this was it and I wouldn't be sent home. The contractions were getting closer and more painful. When I got to the hospital, I couldn't even fill out the form they handed me because I was in tears from the pain :( They took me straight to a room and checked me. I was dilated to a 5 and fully effaced (around 4:30pm). They admitted me then and the contractions continued.

Around 7:45pm, the doctor came in to check me and I was dilated to a 10. My water was also bulging (it hadn't broke yet), so he broke my water. There was a ton of meconium in there. The baby was also turned sideways/upwards. They called in the NICU nurses and had them ready for if anything was wrong when he came out. Of course that freaked me out and I was in a bit of a panic for a while. I just prayed that everything would be ok :)

Around 8pm, the doctor was able to turn him with 1-2 contractions. At 8:10pm I started pushing. It only took 3 rounds of pushing (3 pushes each round) and out he came at 8:22pm!

He was immediately checked over by the doctors/nurses from NICU, and luckily everything was ok. He's perfectly healthy in every way! :)

During my pregnancy, Connor would ask tons of questions, and the baby's cord came up in questioning. He asked if they could leave it on him until he was able to see the baby, because he was SOOO fascinated by it. I told him we couldn't leave it on, but that we'd get a REALLY good picture of it, nice and long, before it was cut short :)
8 lbs. even and 20.5 inches long
only minutes old
after snuggling with me for a few minutes, he found his way down and started nursing soon after. He then nursed for over and hour! He's definitely a GREAT eater :)

not happy to be taking pictures. He wanted to eat more :)

First time Daddy held him


meeting Auntie Kate for the first time
meeting Grammy for the first time

1 comment:

Anthony and Erin Mills said...

How cool! Glad it was so short. Probably didn't feel too short at the time though.